VAWA | Battered Spouses, Children, & Parents

As a battered spouse, child or parent, an individual may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The VAWA provisions in the INA allow certain spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens and certain spouses and children of permanent residents (Green Card holders) to file a petition for themselves, without the abuser’s knowledge. This allows victims to seek both safety and independence from their abuser, who is not notified about the filing.  [1]

The VAWA provisions, which apply equally to women and men, are permanent and do not require congressional reauthorization.

Who is Eligible?

Spouses: If the individual is an abused spouse, or parent to an abused child, of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The individual may also include his/her unmarried children who are under 21, if they have not filed for themselves.

Parent: If he/she is a parent  of a U.S. citizen, and he/she has been abused by the U.S. citizen son or daughter.

Child: If he/she has been abused by her/his U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent.

If you have questions regarding the eligibility for protection under VAWA, please contact our office to speak with one our lawyers. Our firm offers honest and sound analysis of each individual’s situation to help them decide on the best course of action in their immigration case. Our focus is on making the immigration process as painless and straightforward for our clients as possible. We explain the steps of immigrating to the United States and establish lasting relationships with our clients to continually serve their needs. You can feel comfortable coming to our Tulsa immigration lawyers with questions about the status of your case or the newest changes to federal immigration laws.